6 thoughts on “When Relaxing Is Stressful

• May 1, 2018 at 7:35 am

I color, I do beauty self care like sheet masks while listening to music.

• May 2, 2018 at 3:07 pm

My theory is that a lot of ADHDers like to relax with activities that have a “tactile” element, like coloring or doing beauty self-care. Thanks for commenting!

• May 11, 2018 at 9:09 am

I agree with this article completely – “relaxing” in the form of “doing nothing”is extremely stressful. It only makes me more anxious. My way of relaxing is going for a run, a “nowhere” drive, a visit to the $2 shop or even a slow walk through the grocery store. Now THAT is the way to relax!

• May 16, 2018 at 3:24 pm

I’m a big fan of the nowhere drive. Thanks for commenting!

• May 17, 2018 at 9:14 am

The definition of relaxation quoted in the article is “recreation or rest, especially after a period of work.” Recreation or rest…. Relaxation, by definition, does not require you to be sedentary. Relaxing is about letting your brain decompress and get rid of the stress of the day. No one should be surprised that the ADHD brain might prefer to do that decompression while still being required to deal with another task such as moving. My sister always tells me she thinks it’s weird that I love to relax after work by going for a walk while reading a book…but for me it works. The trick to a successful vacation with friends and family without ADHD is to find a place that lets them sit next to the pool/beach like a log for hours on end while you go scuba diving/parasailing/kayaking/zip lining so you can all get the type of relaxation you need.

• May 24, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Yeah, in fact, this is probably a general formula for life with ADHD: take any task that’s typically sedentary, combine it with moving, and things will probably turn out better!

I agree that a successful vacation is one that lets everyone do their own thing. Actually, this is one reason I love traveling alone!