19 thoughts on “4 Solutions to ADHD That You Definitely Haven’t Thought Of

• February 6, 2018 at 8:25 am

I disagree. This article is written so poorly that a lot of people don’t know if the author is joking or not. So many people who suffer from ADHD are abused by these type comments – you’re lazy, you’re stupid, you just want drugs. I would like to file a complaint against this post for violating the terms of service of PsychCentral. I find this article to be verbally and emotionally abusive and that is clearly against the terms of service of PsychCentral.

• February 6, 2018 at 11:48 am

I would hope this was done as irony.

• February 6, 2018 at 1:53 pm

for those of us who do understand the quality of life effects of ADHD this article should include that it is sarcasm because if I hadn’t explored further I might have continued to think oh great another article debunking the real suffering that ADHD can bring. Since there are many who don’t believe ADHD exists I myself read it as another “debunk” as opposed to sarcasm.

• February 4, 2018 at 1:26 am

that’s so helpful,fewer articles like this are found on internet.just because everything is through recent research,can make people think it’s perfectly true.what about our own logic??

• February 5, 2018 at 11:47 am

When I first read this it wasn’t clear that it was meant to be a joke. You may want to put a disclaimer at the end. To folks who are new to ADHD this may unintentionally reinforce misinformation.

• February 5, 2018 at 9:12 pm

This is so true! I wish more people realized how fake ADHD is and how it really is just a lack of discipline. It’s just an excuse by lazy people not to work hard or clean up their pig sty of a life. College kids claim they have “ADHD” so they can get cheap drugs to fuel their all night partying. It is such a scam. Parents/teachers claim their kids are ADHD because they are to impatient to do their job. Amphetamines such as Adderall should be made illegal because it is fueling drug addictions. Adderall truely is as addictive as cocaine and should be illegal just the same. Thanks for having the courage to speak out about the truth of ADHD because it really is just an excuse. There is no scientific evidence to support ADHD as a real disorder. It is just a collection of bad habits caused by lack of discipline and laziness.

• February 6, 2018 at 10:43 am

I hope you’re not a parent. You’re ignorant and heartless.

• February 6, 2018 at 11:53 am

I am 57 years old, and this is not BS for me. Maybe some people read books and act out symptoms for attention, maybe there are other ways to help yourself and getting drugged up is not one of them. Maybe your crummy diet or a lack of exercise is what makes you not focus!

• February 8, 2018 at 9:29 pm

I was diagnosed at age 50. Not by telling a doctor I have adhd so I can get meds. But by a social worker doing an assessment. After my assessment, I talked to a psychiatrist. Before any meds, I had to do a test and evaluation. It was diagnosed as severe combined adhd/add. After more research on my part, it all made sense…all the way back to elementary school and being female it was never considered. I used to not believe in the condition either, however, I have noticed several generations of family have had it…genetic? Yes, there should be a disclaimer with this article. I was shaking my head, all ready to blow a gasket and pass it on to someone that could do something about this. I can take a joke, but if someone is truly researching non medical treatment, this is entirely bogus.

• February 6, 2018 at 7:36 am

Well, why didn’t I think of those things? Life would have been so much easier. 😆
    … people, sometimes… ☹️

• February 6, 2018 at 8:13 am

Thanks for the comment John. Perhaps it is intended as irony or sarcasm, but I don’t expect that from PsychCentral. From my perspective ADHD/ADD is a function of anxiety. When I teach client’s to manage their anxiety in a healthy way, the so called ADHD goes away. I see it all the time in residential treatment with clients who have a diagnosis from a psychiatrist. What’s that say about psychiatry? Laughable, kind of like this article.

• February 6, 2018 at 9:39 am

Thank you so much for this enlightening article. I am looking forward to your upcoming article on ADHD medication. Also, thank you for the laugh. I, however, will not be forwarding your droll article because, as I have learned the hard way, sarcasm does not translate well in writing. There are actually people out there who will take it literally and preach it as gospel.

• February 6, 2018 at 10:38 am

When people are desperate for help, the last thing they want to read is some article that’s ironic. This article is confusing, ineffective, inane and irresponsible. Shame on you for printing it. My confidence in psychcentral has nose-dived.

• February 7, 2018 at 2:58 am

Hahaha, you had me going for the first paragraph.
    I’m sorry that so many thought it was a serious article.

• February 13, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Proves the point that anyone can blog these days and be published. He doesn’t even have a research based degree in any field. It’s arrogant, pompass, and dismissive of a condition that is quite severe for a lot of people. Tell an addict just to say addiction isn’t a disease, or someone with bi-polar disorder that being excited is a grand way to approach life. And for the “irony” response, it’s an extension of the arrogance of the entire peace. I don’t look for irony in my mental illnesses, I look for solutions and dismissing it as non-existent, over medicated and downplaying it’s severeity isn’t ironic at all. Both the article and the irony comment are negligent and it’s deeply concerning that this blogger has a job blogging about Psychiatry/Clinical Psychology with a liberal arts bachelors. Put your money where you mouth is, go to school and actually study this stuff before you espouse hollow thoughts and beliefs about something you probably read about on the internet… Fail.

• February 25, 2018 at 8:49 am

Hahaha, I cannot thank you enough for this insight!
    It shows that ADHD and intelligence cán goed together… People, please start to use yourself… Did we not learn at school that we should investigate before forming andere opinion?! Read Just one more text of Neil and you would thinking differently!
    Me and my full blown existing ADHD can door it, I bet you can too! What’s your excuses? Laziness??

• February 25, 2018 at 8:52 am

Hahaha, I cannot thank you enough for this insight!
    It shows that ADHD and intelligence cán go together… People, please start to use yours … Did we not learn at school that we should investigate before forming an opinion?! Read Just one more text of Neil and you would be thinking differently!
    Me and my full blown existing ADHD can do it, I bet you can too! What’s your excuse? Laziness??

• April 9, 2018 at 7:26 pm

WOW. ADHD is real, the thing is from child to adult the being over hyper sometimes goes away when treated early enough.We have lots of energy with no direction untreated Bi-polar ca creep in.

ADHD in itself is a word, but the symptoms are as real as can be. Any one symptom by itself is tough when you combine multiple symptoms its not fun.