6 thoughts on “Trouble With Transitions

• January 9, 2018 at 11:36 am

Thanks for addressing this. I’ve always, even before the dx, said that my brain only had two gears, On and Off, and it was always getting stuck in one or the other. Now that I’m retired, I found that lying down, going into a trance like state and doing deep breathing helps “unstick” my brain. I am looking forward to your next article on this for more tips.

• January 11, 2018 at 11:09 pm

That’s a great way of putting it. I sometimes think of it as having a “sticky” brain. Whatever my brain is doing, it wants to keep doing that thing — getting it unstuck and into a different “setting” can be a challenge!

• January 26, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Thank you so much for your article. It is helpful to use with parents who have difficulty understanding just how tough making transitions is for their children. I think it can be useful to help parent or others who live with a person who has ADHD to be more empathic when their family member is trying to cope with change in situations events or locations.

• February 1, 2018 at 3:03 pm

I appreciate that, Karen! I hadn’t thought about it, but you’re right — as far as ADHD symptoms go, this might be one of the ones that’s more difficult for other people to understand.

• August 7, 2018 at 9:49 pm

I just found your article & will forward it to my husband. It more than explains why I have trouble moving from one location to another. Moving across town it traumatic, it’s even more so moving across country! We will be making another move later this year, in the same town, thankfully, & I will be given a whole month to pack and move!

• August 9, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Yes, between the organization, planning, details to keep track of, disruption to routine, and all the other aspects of moving that people with ADHD can struggle with, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing the article!