7 thoughts on “ADHD Pride, Why I’m Happy To Be Me

• November 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm

A very insightful story. Excellent. Recently, I was given te gift of viewing a woman named Brene Brown who you should find on Youtube. She talks about shame and vulnerability… really good stuff! I listened to her talk 6 times. Another thing I heard recently was we with ADHD are like Ferrari’s because our brains go very fast. However, we have brakes like a bicycle. Once our creativity gets spun-up it takes awhile to slow down. This was said by a PhD who is ADHD and wrote a bunch of excellent books. His name is Edward “Ned” Hallowell, and you can also find his talks on Youtube. So, all in all, we’re gifted people in some ways, but we must harness our thoughts or suffer the consequences of impulsive actions.

• November 30, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Thanks for your comment, Gary. And thanks for the leads on references. Dr. Hallowells books have places on my shelf, but are usually on the couch or on my nightstand. I’ll look into Brene Brown.

I’ve said before that our diagnosis symptom list should be a laundry list of things we need to work on, but I stand behind the idea that having to work on those lists is what makes us stronger than the rest.

Kelly

• December 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I’m 54. We ADD’rs are not weak nor defective, just not mainstream, and therefore, labeled as defective by the mainstream. Ignore them. While there are averages and the medical profession loves to define them, no one person is average in all traits.

I for one could not have started up and run two successful small businesses without the ability to have ten things going on in my mind at any given time. Which customer to call; how much payroll to get together this month; what’s the status of my insurance policies; copy for the new ad; a solution to the trouble in the product software or hardware; etc, etc. Such innate abilities to “idea juggle” have left me a self-made man, and I retired at 46. Do not obsess over someone else’s labels.

ADD and ADHD originally developed and now persist in the gene pool because they offer survival advantages under certain situations, and one can use these to good effect, even in the modern world, even if your friends don’t understand what’s going on in your head–as long as you do. Channel all that energy toward your goals.

• December 5, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Thanks, Jim. It’s good to hear a success story. There are many out there but many of us are defeated before we start. I appreciate your being able to find a place to make your set of symptoms work in your favour. Well done.

Kelly

• October 30, 2013 at 8:13 pm

There is no pride to having ADHD.
    I wish I were never born.

• October 31, 2013 at 9:22 am

I’m sorry you feel this way, Anonymous. I’m not proud of having ADHD, I’m proud of being myself. It is unfortunate that I have ADHD, but it seems that it is so intricately tied up in every part of my brain that to remove it would change so much of who I am.

I wish you didn’t have that wish. If you think talking about it would help, email me at adhd_man@writeofway.ca

Kelly

• December 31, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Just curious. Do you still wish you were never born? I hope not. I hope you found help.