Comments on
Talk to Me: A Conversation About ADHD Self-Dialogue

I talk to myself. I talk to myself quite a lot. Yes, I talk back to the radio, and to my computer, the DVD player, the hockey announcers, the fools in advertisements trying to sell me stupid things that I’ll never buy and those brilliant people in advertisements who are telling me about the wonderful things I could buy …

10 thoughts on “Talk to Me: A Conversation About ADHD Self-Dialogue

• November 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I don’t get it…is this a sign of ADHD? Golem would besides being psychotic a good example of an ADHD diagnosis?

• November 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Sorry to mislead you, Judith, not a sign or symptom as such, more of a coping mechanism that some of us use.

You do bring up another good point. There are several mental health issues that can mimic ADHD, just as ADHD can mimic other disorders. The truth is that in symptom spectrum disorders, you have a list of symptoms and a mental health professional takes that inventory of symptoms and decides which diagnosis fits best. Sometimes that will be a clear and classic case of ADHD and sometimes it will be ADHD with co-morbid disorders and sometimes it will be another disorder or combination of disorders. Personally, I wouldn’t bet against Golem having ADHD without a competent psychiatrist agreeing. There are no rules that say you can’t have ADHD if you’re psychotic.

Thanks for reading my blog and for your question. I hope I’ve cleared up any confusion for you,
      Kelly

• December 2, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Thank you so much. I live alone with two cats. I often talk to myself or the cats. While driving, I just hope the other drivers think I am talking to a Bluetooth. It helps me clarify my thoughts, rehash situations where I would like to do better next time (especially at work) and express my feelings in cases where it is not safe to express them, or the past has popped up in my thoughts. Thanks for sharing this !

• December 2, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Barbara, thanks for your comments.

I’m so happy you appreciated this. I actually keep my bluetooth headset in my ear, even when I’ve forgotten my phone (or forgotten to charge it).

Keep talking, and listening, and reading my blog (a shameless plug, sorry),
      your auto-dialogueing friend, Kelly.

• December 3, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I have Asperger Syndrome and I do this, too! Most people that I know with an autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, or dyslexia do. I think it has something to do with thinking in pictures instead of words, but I’m not entirely sure. What I’ve picked up in researching is that typical people (people without any neurological differences) have a running commentary in their heads of their thoughts at all times. I know I don’t. I see my thoughts in pictures in my mind (even while reading) but will not have an audible inner voice, because I don’t think in words. To think clearly, and to get my thoughts in order, so to speak, I talk out loud. The more I am concentrating on something, the more I will talk myself through the steps of doing a task.

Also, there’s the replaying conversations and practicing for future ones that I do too, that you mentioned. This is in part, as you mentioned due to anxiety, but it is also a way of feeling like one can be comfortable with talking, without worrying of social faux pauxs. I won’t always see the nonverbal cues that someone is bored, or even want to deal with the fact they might want to change the subject. No worrying about missing cues, or boring anyone when monologuing.

And to add another point, quickly, this phenomenon that you and I speak of is waaayyy different than people mental illnesses who believe that another entity, or voice answers when they talk to themselves. I never ever think I hear another voice answer me.

• December 3, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Quiet Contemplation, thanks for your comments. I never think someone is answering me either and in fact when replaying conversations or rehearsing potential encounters I have a hard time creating responses to my commentary. I do have an audible inner voice, but I suspect it’s mostly an echo of my outer voice thanks to years of talking aloud to myself. Yes, the pictures are definitely there also.

I to miss visual cues, often hearing audible ones when it is just the wrong side of too late.

Thanks for reading my blog, your points are valid and welcome.

Kelly

• December 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I have several dogs. I still talk to myself, they rarely pay me any mind. As an Aspie software engineer, it helps me solve problems.

• December 5, 2011 at 9:43 am

MyAspieLife:

As a former computer programmer I can appreciate the benefit of self-dialogue in problem solving. Our minds are able to benefit from having someone to bounce ideas off of, even if that someone is ourselves.

Thanks for reading the post and for your comments, I appreciate your weighing in on an all to often overlooked topic.

Kelly

• December 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

I also do this all the time. I also create songs in relation to what I am doing at the time. The worst was when I had gotten a new pair of underwear with snowflakes on them and I was bowing as if I were from royalty saying,”I’m Mrs.Snowbottom.” with appropriate English accent. As i turned around my sneaky husband was laughing hysterically. I was so embarrased, I yelled at him for creeping around. It was really funny. I have since refrained from accents!

• December 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Well, Mrs. Snowbottom, I, for one, am disappointed that you won’t be doing accents anymore. I think it took more courage to click that [Submit Comment] button today than it did to do an accent. Thank you so much for sharing.

I hope your husband understood that part of your anger came from transitioning shock, we don’t do well when spooked.

Thanks for reading my blog and for commenting,

Kelly