11 thoughts on “Autism And ADHD, I’d Never Say I Told You So …

• March 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Actually, I’m going to one up you here. Because there is a brand new study out that followed 61,000 individuals. Approximately half had a “big 5” diagnosis (bipolar, depression, schizophrenia, ADHD, and autism,) the other half had no diagnosis.

What are the findings? That all five of them are connected to the same gene, and those without have no issue with that gene. So, all of us big five are actually all on the exact same spectrum. The next steps will be long discovering if the same findings will be found again, and then what exactly causes A to get ADHD, B to get autism, and D to the get schizophrenia.

• March 8, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Would you happen to have the citation to your post? I’d be interested in reading more.

• March 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I’m not at all surprised, can you give citations for this?

Thanks for reading my blog and for your comment,

Kelly

• March 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm

that makes a lot of sense most of those exist in my family with the exception of bipolar

• March 24, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for that insight, regina, and for the comment,

Kelly

• March 18, 2013 at 2:50 am

Oh, I believe it. As for what “some girl” mentioned in her comment above, those arguments are strengthened by the fact that treatments for ADHD are the same as for narcolepsy, which is very similar to absence seizures. Whereas bipolar disorder is often treated with depakote or carbemazepine, which are also epileptic medications. Treatment. More and more, I find that people with these ‘mental health’ disorders have some unique traits about them that are evolutionarily favorable, and yet not so in the modern world. It’s as if, society has changed to make these things less favorable. An analogy would be the gene for sickle cell anemia, being favorable for a carrier, in that they are less likely to contract fatal malaria. And yet, for the homozygote, it is lethal.

• March 18, 2013 at 8:54 am

As far as I’m concerned the jury is still out on this idea of Autism and ADHD, but the evidence is mounting. Thanks for your insight, Aiona, and for your comments. Your knowledge is a valuable addition to our understanding of this subject. Intriguing thought about genetics, interesting to think that there are advantages to certain genetic uniquenesses, this fits with the theory that there is a preponderance of ADHD in North America because the person with ADHD was more likely to “go exploring” and once they found new frontiers, they populated them. Since ADHD is highly heritable, there would naturally be a higher rate of it in a newer country.

Thanks for reading my post,
      Kelly

• August 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I have suspected/believed that ADHD is on the Autusm for years. I have ADHD. I have three daughters. One has ADHD, one had ADHD and PDD-NOS, and one has been diagnoses with ADHD and Bipolar. All of us have suffered from depression and anxiety.
    I wish I were 20-30 years younger. I would love to go into this field of research.

• August 6, 2013 at 9:55 am

Lisa, we procrastinate and become distracted enough, if you can see yourself researching this out of love, than do it.

I am in awe of your family, what a large collection of tasks must be on your plates, to deal with these co-morbid conditions. I imagine your family is very dynamic.

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting and sharing,

Kelly

• July 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I am thrilled to find *any* breakthroughs in ADHD research. If the conclusions reached don’t jive with what I already believe about ADHD, that’s fine with me so long as the research is sound. If Autism is a “cousin” disorder to ADHD, then maybe the resources devoted to researching those two disorders can be combined, which may result in better information and possible treatments for both of them. So, yay!

I’m personally interested in the link between ADHD and sleep disorders. I suffer from both, and have found that lots of research supports the theory that the two are linked. I’m about to search your blog now for any posts you might have made about this particular connection.