8 thoughts on “Violence And ADHD: It’s Not Really In Us

• January 25, 2013 at 8:34 am

While I certainly agree that violence and ADHD are not necessarily buddies, ADHD can create problems for some people, that may involve violence. Impulsivity can lead to some poor decision-making. A hot temper can get you in some hot water. These aren’t issues for ALL people with ADHD…but as a former criminal defense paralegal, I can tell you there’s a lot of people with things like ADHD and ODD in prison…used to take their calls from the jail phone all the time.

• January 25, 2013 at 8:53 am

Hey Katy R.,

You’re absolutely right that there is a higher percentage of people with ADHD in jails than the norm outside of them. Not all of them are there because of violence, we break many laws in our quest for a life worth living.

But you are also correct in your observation of our unique issues that may incite violence.

Thanks for your “inside” point of view,

Kelly

• January 25, 2013 at 8:45 am

OMG – it’s time to find stuff for taxes again?! 40+ years and still w/o a system…

Bad title – sort -of -good ideas. I’d argue that for a lot of us. we aren’t into holding grudges – which seems to be one element of some violence – because we don’t maintain focus on that stuff either. More seriously, i’ve seen a lot of violence (of the domestic variety, and against children). While lack of impulse control is sometimes a factor, it isn’t necessarily of the ADHD sort but seemed more integrally related to a constant underlying anger absent any self knowledge, and was about controlling others. So someone with ADHD COULD be like this, but with no more likelihood than anyone else (my own bet is that there might be even LESS likelihood if you limited the focus to intentional aggression).

• January 25, 2013 at 8:55 am

Ha, absolutely right, oldblackdog. Succinct and to the point as always.

Thanks for your comment and for reading my post, you’re always appreciated here,
      Kelly

• January 26, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Enjoyed your article…would you mind checking out my blog and specifically the last blog topic on mental health and violence. Thanks!!!

piecefullymine.blogspot.com

• January 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Hi, A Piece of My Mind, I’ve read your blog post entitled “Does Having a Mental Illness Equate to Violence?.” You have made some good points, I covered some of this in a past post called “Asperger’s, ADHD, Autism & Violence: Is There A Connection?” which you may wish to read also.

There is a logic problem in pointing at those with mental illness and suggesting that the way to prevent violence is to secure them in facilities where they cannot commit crimes of this nature. That problem, is that those who wouldn’t commit such crimes will then be punished even though they are innocent.

My stance on this issue is that the marginalization of those of us who have mental health issues is the catalyst that causes breakdown. The mental illness is no more to blame than the finger on the trigger. A finger cannot pull a trigger without something causing that to happen. A person, with or without a mental health issue, cannot commit a crime until circumstance drives them to it. Treating them worse than they are treated now will not correct these circumstances.

There is no way to incarcerate every potential criminal in advance of the crime being committed. There is no way that such a system could be supported financially or morally. Thus, there is no way that such a system would alleviate the problem.

Thanks for reading my post and for your link and your comment,
      Kelly

• February 8, 2013 at 11:39 am

I agree, and disagree all at the same time! lol I think that ADHD with all of it’s impulsive, overemotional, and frustrating qualities can easily set the stage for someone who has not been given ay understanding in life for violent behaviors. I also think it’s worth thinking about what would one term ‘violence’. I know that my husband is not violent in the way he beats people up, or commits violent crimes, but it has taken him many yrs to calm his temper, and not throw huge ass tantrums that tore up the house, and my self-esteem. He’s not violent in the way that he would physically harm anyone, but was when he was a child. He grew up in a very abusive household, though, so that may have played a part in that. I recall him saying that something as small as another boy cutting in front of him, or bumping into him in line in grade school could prompt him to impulsively punch them. His motto was do first, then ask questions later, but obviously he grew up, and learned to self-regulate before becoming an adult, so I am not by any means excusing behaviors from others that use ADHD as an excuse to harm others. It may be a reason, but it’s never an excuse.

Good post! Lots to think about.

• February 8, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I think we’re pretty much on the same page here, especially the part about ADHD being a reason, but not an excuse. I really believe that being made aware of ADHD in ones life makes for a much easier time of it. Knowing how we’ve reacted and recognizing how and when that happens moves us a lot farther forward on the road to a better way of life.

Thanks for your perspective on this, I always appreciate it,
      Kelly