8 thoughts on “ADHD And The Best of Intentions

• May 21, 2012 at 10:03 am

It sounds depressing familiar. I also have an untended garden. Outstanding repairs in my house going back nearly 9 years, since I lived at my present address. A shed which has collapsed and lays unmoved in my untended garden. A basement full of books, hundreds, that I have never sold on Amazon. A deadline creeping up that I can’t push off any more…and so on and so on….

• May 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm

… and so on, and so on. I hear you Deecee. As my ancestors might have said, “I can’t rise up your shed, but I can weep with you.” (actually, they would have said “I can’t rise up your burden …” but I took a little liberty there, ha ha).

As to the books, my advice is to hire someone to dispose of them and pay them by splitting the proceeds. You may not get what you have in them, but you’re not getting that anyway. It’s just a thought, please disregard it if it isn’t appealing to you.

Keep working on enjoying life, Deecee, we only get the one that I’m sure of. Thanks for reading my blog and for your comments. It cheers me in a way, to find that I’m not alone.

Kelly

• May 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm

This is all too familiar to me, too. I have spent my entire life feeling like a complete failure because I can’t follow through on anything I start. Thanks for reminding me that I’m not alone, that it’s the curse of this horrible, horrible disability and that we all deal with it as best we can. In my case, that’s typically not too well. Onward and upward…

• May 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Onward and upward indeed, Terry, and together, the whole lot of us. We deserve company on this road that used to be lonely for us. And lets hope that others find their way to support in the form of groups who understand and don’t judge.

Thanks for reading and for weighing in,

Kelly

• May 22, 2012 at 6:35 am

You don’t mention what stops the completion of each project, and often it is just that others swarm in and fill the time instead. However, do any of you experience a literal rising up of a wall of indifference, partway through a project? It happens to me all the time, and I usually see it the moment it rises. Involvement is replaced by avoidance, as though a switch had been flipped. I’d love to know what just happened in my anterior cingulate something-or-other leading up to that change. Bring out the fMRI!

• May 22, 2012 at 7:32 am

All the articles on this website seem somewhat the same, they restate the problem (over and over and over and over again) with a huge number of examples, but never suggest a solution or strategy to help deal with it. Do the publishers of Psych Central think that readers are more interested in the definition of ADHD then help with over commming it?

• May 22, 2012 at 10:21 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences with other people struggling with ADDHD. This is the current DSM term though some people are more impulsive and hyperactive, some more inattentive and most have features of both variants.

I recently came across a book which I like and you may find helpful in coping with the condition. It does have some helpful suggestions and references.
    It is ” More Attention, Less Distraction” by Ari Tuckman, Psy.D, MBA. It can be found at Amazon.com .

• May 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

Hi Kelly
    I even feel anxiety when I realize that I have read your blogs and procrastinated about commenting! LOL. Do I get to add good intentions to my grateful journal? Sometimes they are my only daily victories, or at least seems that way. Keep writing my friend, your fans do enjoy your perspectives.

Drew in Houston