15 thoughts on “5 Truths About the Addict in Your Life

• August 15, 2014 at 8:31 am

Whether people talk about it openly, it seems we all have addicts we love.
    Addiction is a family disease.Without the whole family making changes, the cycle continues. And one cannot love an addict into recovery, unfortunately.
    Thank you for writing this. I hope it helps many families.

• September 30, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I agree with you. Mary.
      Addiction is a family disease, as no addict is an island. Their actions have a ripple effect on everyone around them. Which is why recovery is a team effort, but it is absolutely possible.

• August 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Sorry, I can’t agree that addiction is a disease. And the family members should not automatically be assumed to have an illness. Not all of us are enablers.

• August 20, 2014 at 11:41 pm

I understand that it is very hard to get past being deeply hurt by someone’s addiction, but please, open your mind and educate yourself. READ the research. Addiction IS a brain illness. Plus, there are differences in the brains of those who become addicted and those who won’t. While triggers are usually social, genetics largely determines who becomes an addict. For those of us lucky enough, the normal rites of passage for many of coming off age which include parties, drinks, smoking, for many, even drugs – we can take it or leave it. To someone genetically predisposed to addiction, they don’t even have a chance.

• August 16, 2014 at 4:23 pm

All of that above is true….however, there is still little hope for the addict or their families as the overall ignorance of the general population is encouraged and even well exploited by the politicians who help perpetuate the myths surrounding this disease and refuse to fund any significant programs, especially inpatient detox programs to help those who suffer from the excruciating mental and physical pain of withdrawl. Without this very first step in the process being adequately provided, regardless of the addict’s ability to pay all of these well meaning articles and truths shall continue to be without any significant value…..

• January 26, 2015 at 7:11 am

noisey boy and lizzy. You are completely accurate in your assessment. for 20yrs my drug of choice was crystal. i also smoke tobacco and pot. when i realized that the reason i was doing it (meth) was to occupy mind and body & if i was high then i didn’t have to think about all my problems, let alone solving them. i can say i am confident that my future will vastly improve because i quit because i wanted to!

• August 20, 2014 at 11:13 am

Good post, as most are. Just for those not dealing with a substance addiction, much of this post does not apply to Sex addiction. It is entirely different.

• September 11, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Being able to realize there is a problem and knowing that it is treatable is the first step. The brain is a powerful thing and when fully understanding how the brain gets addicted will allow you to comprehend it is not their fault. Having hope and support for the family member or friend in need is key to recovery. Love that you touched on relapse. I know it may seem silly to think about it during recovery but to know that it does happen is comforting to those trying to recover. Great post!

• October 6, 2014 at 12:08 am

If you are an alcoholic and live with people you love there is no doubt that you have made them sick. Without question your family needs help. Sometimes a little education will fix it, other times it takes much more to undo or repair what they have experienced.

I have never met a child who wasn’t hurt by not being as important to their parent as a bottle.

• January 8, 2015 at 8:01 am

I can’t entirely agree with this article. When my alcoholic spouse was required to get help or lose his job, he went for help, but immediately began looking for a new job. And, since I take medication for my mental illness, we can’t discuss his alcohol problem – he just yells at me to take more pills. After sixteen years of turmoil, I don’t have any love left and I certainly don’t want to keep on going like this. I am sick and he adds to my sickness. An addict WANTS to get better – no amount of encouraging, pleading, arguing or talking will do any good.

• June 30, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for the great advice on handling addictions. Understanding that addiction is not a logical disease, like you said, can help you understand what a loved one with this problem might be thinking. Just being there and supporting their recovery can help them on the road to breaking the addiction.

• March 28, 2017 at 10:09 pm

I know that addict behavior is a disease. The part that I struggle with (as a recovering addict myself) at what point to we make the person responsible?

If someone had diabetes and refuses to take their insulin knowing full well what could happen don’t we hold that person responsible?

So if someone had gone threw the steps/ treatment shouldn’t that person be responsible for his choices

• May 13, 2017 at 6:06 pm

An addict surely needs to suffer the negative consequences of their actions, but placing blame is a surefire way to continue the cycle of use, remorse, self loathing, and relapse.
      I suffer from depression, chronic and debilitating at times. I also am an addict. I also am a diabetic. The depression, even with proper treatment and medication, consumes me at times. Just getting out of bed is a major drain physically and mentally. Fighting the call of the substance requires a vast supply of energy which, when the depression is flaring, just is not always possible.
      When my wife attaches blame and anger to me, it is more than I can take, and I often end up relapsing. I feel absolutely overwhelmed. When I “fail”, I stop treating my diabetes, I lose resolve to continue the fight. I want to die. I hate that I hurt the ones I love over and over again. They don’t believe I love them. That fuels the depression, pushing me farther towards self destruction.
      Removing blame, while allowing normal consequences of my decisions has been the best formula for success. Loving me, not blaming me, is the only way I can stay clean and somewhat healthy.

• May 25, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Hello all, I think you know your problem is beginning when you start the lying. Your first one is never free, but you never had to lie about it; infact if you’re speaking about the class As you would even glamourise it. Like wolf of wall Street

• May 25, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Sorry I must have hit submit by mistake ( I was just smashing a vodka to ease a coke come down before my girlfriend arrives.

What I want to know is if I had never tried coke up until now I would try it again. So you almost can’t win. The problem is that first time. Because you don’t realise how good it is albeit short term.

My addiction is also sexual. That’s why I can spend a day in our bedroom with a whack of sex toys and my girlfriend’s panties. All I think about is her. And come up with these highly erotic ideas that we will do together.

Didn’t work out today. She’s thrown her engagement ring at me when she discovered I was high. What I had dreamed up was a session of annilingus.

Gotta go that’s her at the door.

Please help