8 thoughts on “Are Recovering Addicts Happier Than Everyone Else?

• February 29, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Excellent points and well-done, but seems to falsely work from the assumption that most people who recover from addiction do so through 12-step programs and by receiving treatment. Research shows that many, perhaps most, do so by other means and achieve equally favorable results.

• April 29, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Actually this is untrue … I’ve read about 19% of people stop drinking with AA.

• April 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm

The biggest gift of sobriety for me is a quiet mind. It’s taken two decades of work to get here, but those negative, painful thoughts that controlled my life are quiet most of the time. Yes, I’m very grateful to be alive, I try to live in the moment and have learned to ask for help.

Thank you for this wonderful post.

• March 14, 2013 at 4:27 am

and sometimes people die …

• April 18, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I can agree with the points made in this article. However what about those who even after going through treatment still have to deal with the everyday stress of not going back to where they once were.

• April 29, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Learn to deal with stress, as everyone else must do. You can be sure stress is part of life and recovery. I learned coping skills in the 12 Steps and therapy. I think when we get sober we grow up and I couldn’t have done it alone.

• January 21, 2016 at 4:21 am

I am a recovering opiate abuser, and feel more depressed, than I did when I was popping my pills. Getting sober as a means to cure my hopeless feelings towards my future has turned out to be a similar mirage as being constantly high. I often feel this world is not meant for me. Seems there is no place in it for me, sober, or not.

• November 4, 2018 at 12:44 pm

I am an addict who has been attending NA for several months. I have made up my mind to leave mood and mind altering chemicals behind me, with the exception of coffee and food I guess. But, it has been hard going the last couple weeks because I am dreading all of the work I must do just to stay clean. My mind is trying to convince myself that I will never again find happiness without being able to get high. But, reading this has helped me so much. I am going to try and read it everyday. I don’t know how my life will play out, but knowing that there is a possibility to be happy without drugs is enough to keep me going. Thank you so much. This has helped more that you know.