Comments on
What’s In A Name?

what's in a name?My name is Edie; spelled E-d-i-e and pronouned Eee Dee. It was given to me at birth by my parents who wanted (in the tradition of the Judaism of our heritage) to honor my maternal grandfather named Edward.

7 thoughts on “What’s In A Name?

• September 22, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I was named after my grandmother. We shared bothe our first and middle names; Daphna Delores. Now add Davis as a last name and you can see where the nickname Dede came from. While I loved my grandmother, I’ve always hated my name. First it wasn’t my name. It belonged to my grandmother. Second no one ever said or spelled it right. It was super easy to make embarrassing names from like Daffy Duck. Like you when solicitors call and ask for Daphna whether they say it right or not, I say not here. I never use that name. I’m not overly fond of my nickname either. I get phone calls returned to Judy not Dede. And it’s not a real name. I wonder sometimes what life would have been like if rather than being guilted into naming me after her mother, my mother had given me the name she originally wanted which was Charisse. I’ll never know because that’s the name she gave my younger sister. If I change my name do you think it would help me change the view I have of myself?

• September 22, 2016 at 11:13 pm

It may make a difference to you, since YOU would be choosing it. You might even do a naming ceremony for yourself as you honor the woman you are becoming. Wishing you well.

• September 23, 2016 at 5:17 am

My real first name has a two vowel start up which aspect is seized upon by sirens who can manipulate the expression of these to infer all the pleasure of Eves treasure chest are available and waiting just for me…Luckily my PTSD hyper vigilance perceives the intent beyond this honeypot in their dewey eyes and I’ve escaped the trap so far. Besides I thought they had signed up to a code of conduct concomitant with their status. My surname is misspelt so often that offbeat pronunciation is fine, and there aren’t too many of us, unless you go to Ireland where we have apparently been creating hordes of good Catholics while pleasing our Eves…

• September 23, 2016 at 9:58 pm

What a colorful response! Hoping you enjoy your name.

• September 23, 2016 at 9:46 pm

My name was fairly common when I was born back in 1961. It is Lori –and my middle name of 3 letters is equally common. I must not have been too impressed as a toddler and then a pre-schooler because I remember insisting that I wanted to be called “Cherry”–pronounced like the fruit, lol! I am not sure where I got that idea but for awhile, my parents humored me and called me that at home only.
    I also remember around this time naming my doll “Sharon.” We knew of no one by that name. However, decades later, my mom learned she had a half sister. Her name is Sharon!
    Another strange and brief little story is that for many years I have loved the name “Chloe.” I still do. I learned several years ago that when I was born, my mom’s nurse that took care of us was named Chloe.
    You know, I never really thought about it but a part of me thinks I’d like to change my name to Chloe as a symbolic way of releasing the trauma of childhood abuse by a stepfather and starting anew…

• September 23, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Go for it! Honoring yourself and your nurse are wonderful ideas.

• September 23, 2016 at 11:34 pm

I’ve been contemplating a name change since I was a teenager. Initially, I just thought my name was so boring and plain jane. First name Stacie and Middle name Nicole. Growing up, the people around had colorful names or names that sounded like they had character. As I got older, I began to want to change my name as a result of my mom being forced into naming me after my father. I think deep down I hated being named after someone who abused me. He wasn’t this great person and I didn’t think he should’ve been honored in any way. Our first names are the same but he has the boyish spelling of Stacey and we have the same last name. I also get tired of having to spell my name all the time. There are like 4 or 5 ways to spell Stacie and the way mine is spelled seems to be guessed the least. I looked into but it seemed to be a lot of paperwork to do so and then I wondered if my family could call me something different after using Stacie for 32 years. I honestly believe it would free me if I could change it though.