Yoga Week: Yoga for Sleep and Insomnia
This post is part of a week-long yoga series at Your Body, Your Mind.
Over the past few months, with a heavy emphasis on the past month, I haven’t been able to sleep much at all.
I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and although I’m sleepy during the day, I can’t seem to fall asleep for a nap, either.
I’m not really sure why this is happening, but I’m definitely in the process of trying to figure out just what’s going on (?!).
In the meantime, maybe I’ll try some of these yoga poses for insomnia.
What do you think?
- Poses for Insomnia: Yoga Journal‘s Leslie Peters thoroughly explains several yoga poses for insomnia, including how your body and mind should begin feeling throughout the sequences.
- Beat Your Insomnia With Yoga: Prevention outlines 13 steps – starting with meditation and ending with the corpse pose – for achieving sleep through yoga.
- The Insomniac’s 3 A.M. Yoga Routine: This Oprah.com piece covers yoga poses for nearly every mental and emotional thing keeping you up at night, including “The Position to Interrupt the Horrifying Video of All the Worst-Case Scenarios That Could Happen to the People You Love.”
- Yoga for a Better Night’s Sleep: About.com’s Yoga Guide, Ann Pizer, shares yoga poses for insomnia as well as explains how yoga can help you sleep and how you can start incorporating yoga into your bedtime routine.
- 7 Yoga Poses for Insomnia: HuffPost Healthy Living writer Riddhi Shah used The Woman’s Yoga Book and Yoga Therapy For Overcoming Insomnia as reference for this list of seven yoga poses to help you sleep.
Have you ever tried yoga for insomnia? Or, is yoga already a part of your regular bedtime routine?
Share with us in the comments below!
Sparks, A. (2013). Yoga Week: Yoga for Sleep and Insomnia. Psych Central. Retrieved on August 4, 2015, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/your-mind/2013/01/yoga-week-yoga-for-sleep-and-insomnia/