Body Image Booster: What Loving Your Body Means
Every Monday features a tip, activity, inspiring quote or some other tidbit to help boost your body image — and kick-start the week on a positive note!
Got a tip for improving body image? Email me at mtartakovsky at gmail dot com, and I’ll be happy to feature it. I’d love to hear from you!
Last week Jess Weiner’s Glamour article, “Jess Weiner’s Weight Struggle: ‘Loving My Body Almost Killed Me,'” caused quite a stir (and for good reason).
It sparked a debate that had many of us questioning Weiner’s definition of body acceptance communities and what loving one’s body really means.
(By the way, thanks so much to everyone who commented. I appreciate your thoughtful words!)
Today, I thought it’d be fitting to think about what accepting and loving our bodies really means to each of us. It’s a vital conversation because it concerns our well-being and health mentally, physically and emotionally.
So spend some time this week considering what body acceptance and body love signify in your own life. You can even brainstorm a list on paper.
To me loving my body means:
- feeding it nutrients like my fave fruits and veggies
- hydrating it properly
- eating intuitively and mindfully
- being flexible (so if I overeat sometimes, or feel crummy after a certain food, that’s OK. I note it and move on)
- moving it with fun physical activities that are either heart-pumping or relaxing
- but not pushing it toward pain
- getting enough sleep
- putting it in clothes that feel good
- not letting numbers like weight and size rule my life – or even more so, my worth
- being grateful for what my body does for me on a regular basis
- not criticizing it, even on days I feel uncomfortable in my own skin
- visiting various doctors regularly (like the dentist and gyno)
- pampering it
What does loving your body mean to you? Please share below!
Tartakovsky, M. (2011). Body Image Booster: What Loving Your Body Means. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 30, 2015, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2011/08/body-image-booster-what-loving-your-body-means/