Every Monday features a tip, activity, inspiring quote or some other tidbit to help boost your body image — and kick-start the week on a positive note!
Got a tip for improving body image? Email me at mtartakovsky at gmail dot com, and I’ll be happy to feature it. I’d love to hear from you!
We’ve all had days where it seems as though nothing gets done. For those times when I seem to be spinning my wheels, I keep a list of things that I can do every day, even when I have no extra time, money, or energy to spare.
And sometimes, we just don’t have the energy to conquer our body image demons or even the mildest of body image blues. Or we’re too tense, too frustrated and too preoccupied with other worries.
For those days, here’s a list of 10 things you can do to boost your body image, whether directly or indirectly:
1. Refuse to create or listen to negative thoughts. If these thoughts still pop up, just accept that they’re present, but don’t pay them much mind.
2. Take a few deep breaths to center yourself and calm down.
3. Listen to whatever music makes you happy, whether that’s Britney or Beethoven. (I like both. )
4. Smile at yourself in the mirror.
5. Wear something that makes you feel comfortable.
6. Put on your fave perfume.
7. Thank someone you love for being there for you.
8. Write one thing you love about yourself or one thing you’re grateful for.
9. Apply lip gloss.
10. Stretch for a few minutes.
11. Toss one thing that’s holding back your body image, whether that’s a pro-thin, guilt-inducing magazine or an old pair of jeans several sizes too small (it’s probably better to donate those).
12. Think of your fave physical activity and schedule it in for a day this week.
13. Go to bed 30 minutes to an hour earlier if you’re sleep-deprived.
14. Eat a nutrient-rich food that always restores your energy (like a yum fruit or veggie).
15. Identify one emotion that you’re feeling. Just identifying one feeling helps you better understand yourself, and give you a good idea of how to proceed (and what healthy coping technique to pick). Becoming in tune with your emotions is vital to your mental and physical health.
So what kinds of body image-boosting activities will make your list?
P.S., Please check out Elizabeth Patch’s awesome post on 10 ways to compliment a woman without mentioning her looks! I contributed a little something, along with other bloggers, at the end of the post.
This post currently has
You can read the comments or leave your own thoughts.
Last reviewed: 14 Oct 2013