7 Ways to Recognize Beauty
Every Monday features a tip, exercise, inspiring quote or other tidbit to help boost your body image. For many of us, Mondays are tough. We may feel anxious and stressed out, anticipating an arduous week, especially if we didn’t get much rest and relaxation during the weekend.
These kinds of feelings don’t create the best environment for improving one’s body image. In fact, you might be harder on yourself and easily frustrated. You might even feel like you’re walking on egg shells – with yourself! With these posts, I hope you’ll have a healthier and happier body image day, that’ll last throughout the week.
Got a tip for improving body image? Email me at [email protected], and I’ll be happy to feature it. It can be anything you do that’s healthy and helps boost your body image. I’d love to hear from you!
Having a positive body image also means recognizing and appreciating your own unique and wonderful beauty.
But I think in order to recognize the beauty in ourselves, we must recognize it in others. That includes recognizing beauty in every noun: people, places and things.
Like the beauty of a city:
A small town:
A rocky river:
Old books (and history):
One of the best ways to do that is through photographs. There are so many blogs that capture the tinny tiny moments of life so beautifully. So today I wanted to share with you some of these resources that help me see beauty in the everyday and in others.
- 1010 Project: “10 photographers. 10 photos each. All taken on 10/10/10. A single day represented in 100 photographs. No special occasion, no big event, just the essence of daily life captured through ten lenses” (from the about page).
- Faces of Beauty: Features a photo of a different woman every day along with a paragraph describing her beauty (if you remember, I’ve talked about this fantastic site a few weeks ago).
- Susannah Conway: After losing her partner suddenly five years ago, Susannah started this blog, where she explores healing and discovering yourself and talks about her insights on life. She features beautiful portraits, too. (She shoots Polaroids and film with vintage cameras so everything looks dreamy.)
- 3191 Miles Apart: Two friends, one in Maine, the other in Oregon, feature their current inspirations and everything from food to home to travel.
- Pia Jane Bijkerk: A stylist/photographer/author shares her photographs. The blog’s tagline is “Enhance the Everyday.”
- Katy Elliott: A blog about one artist’s renovation of a 257-year-old house in Marblehead, Massachusetts (and more).
- Dear Diary Stories: Marta takes stunning snapshots of her life in Utah, her travels, her family and her handmade designs.
All these blogs are reminders of the beauty all around us – in nature, in creativity, in friends, in family and in ourselves.
What are some of your favorite websites that capture the beauty in everyday life? Where have you seen beauty lately? What helps you to recognize beauty in others and in yourself?
By the way, please stay tuned tomorrow for an interview with Harriet Brown, author of Brave Girl Eating: A Family’s Struggle with Anorexia.
photos: NYC, taken while walking in Central Park; in a small town in Ukraine, where my family lives; the Poconos in PA on July 4th; in a used bookstore in Miami several years ago.
Tartakovsky, M. (2014). 7 Ways to Recognize Beauty. Psych Central. Retrieved on January 24, 2017, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2010/11/7-ways-to-recognize-beauty/