It was a brilliant idea, inviting the best scholarly minds around the world to record brief, succinct videos on very specific topics of their special interest. And, so, the TED talks were born. Ranging across a very wide array of topics from science and religion to art and communication, TED talks share the best of what the best have to offer. Here are 6 of the best mental health TED talks to inspire you to think outside of the box, question your understanding of the world around you, and explore:
1. How Meditation can Reshape our Brains – Sara Lazar, Ph.D., Research Associate, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Lazar shares her experiences and her research on the positive effects of meditation on the brain.
2. What Hallucination Reveals About our Minds – Oliver Sacks, M.D., Professor of Neurology, New York University School of Medicine
Dr. Sacks discusses the relationship between vision and hallucination.
3. The World Needs all Kinds of Minds – Temple Grandin, Ph.D., Renown Autism Activist, Professor of Animal Science, Colorado State University
Dr. Gradin shares her experiences with autism and how those with autism see and understand the world.
4. The New Era of Positive Psychology – Martin Seligman, Ph.D., Professor, University of Pennsylvania
Dr. Seligman, the father of positive psychology, shares his views on moving beyond the disease model, toward happier lives.
5. The Surprising Science of Happiness – Dan Gilbert. Ph.D., Harvard Medical School
Dr. Gilbert shares his theories on our natural inclination toward happiness.
6. A Tale of Mental Illness – From the Inside – Elyn Saks, J.D., Ph.D., Professor, University of Southern California
Dr. Saks, a scholar and advocate for those suffering with severe mental illness, shares her own personal experiences with schizophrenia.
This post currently has
You can read the comments or leave your own thoughts.
From Psych Central's World of Psychology:
Best of Our Blogs: February 12, 2013 | World of Psychology (February 12, 2013)
From Psych Central's website:
6 Inspiring Mental Health TED Talks (Video) – PsychCentral.com (blog) « PerformanceVertical Perspectives (February 12, 2013)
Best of Our Blogs: February 12, 2013 | healthhat.com (February 12, 2013)
Inspiring Mental Health TED Talks | JustTherapists (February 14, 2013)
Last reviewed: 11 Feb 2013