Anxiety, depression and unhappiness occur when people are not living their lives in a way that is congruent with their authentic selves. This is what I have learned after providing psychotherapy to a diverse clientele for over 20 years.
Also, I’ve noticed many people get stuck on the proverbial “hamster wheel” of life—an endless cycle of work and household responsibilities and obligations. Seldom do they pause to reflect about who they really are or why they do what they do. The lack of deeper meaning or connection to their work and life roles causes them to shift into autopilot—a state of unconsciousness and stagnation. They become disconnected from their true selves, their relationships and even the world around them.
A man came to me recently for counseling—an educated, articulate, likable guy in his 40’s. He’d never seen a therapist before and wasn’t quite sure what to expect. He hated his lucrative job but felt stuck in a pair of “golden handcuffs” because he has a family to support. He reported his wife was unhappy that he doesn’t help more with tasks at home—they bicker and had become emotionally and sexually disconnected. He felt badly about himself at work and home. Some bright moments with his children seemed to keep him trudging along. Having cocktails with colleagues a few days a week was apparently the way he coped with his stress, disappointment, and loneliness. It seemed hard for him to even identify his feelings, let alone express them in session. He appeared boxed-in by fears, self-limiting beliefs, and all the thoughts of what he “should” be doing and feeling… It was if he had shut down and lost his voice years ago—twenty years ago, to be specific…
Sadly, I see this scenario frequently in my practice. It’s my deep honor and pleasure to help people:
- Reconnect with their true selves through “mirroring” how I see and understand them, their strengths & unique gifts.
- Re-engage their important relationships via empathy, authenticity, vulnerability & open/effective communication.
- Rebalance their lives with hobbies and leisure through the setting of healthy boundaries and time management.
- Refuel themselves through self-care practices and making them a top priority.
- Realign their work with their greatest gifts and life mission through positive thinking, tapping into their courage, and engaging in proactive behaviors.
- Revitalize their passion for the great gift of life by practicing gratitude and connecting with their essence or spirit.
What a gift to help people recover and awaken! I love my life’s work….
Continue reading… »