Consider how the following progression of access to sexual imagery and contact over time might affect someone vulnerable to compulsive and addictive sexual behavior:
Sexual Access Timeline
1. Prehistory to approx 1890 – cave art, prostitution, affairs, harems, compulsive masturbation to fantasy
2. 1890 to late 1970’s – photographic porn, film, porn theatres, strip clubs, adult bookstores
3. 1977 -1990 – VCR & Beta, Phone Sex
4. 1990 – 2004 – Bulletin Board (BBS), Chat Rooms, Porn Websites, Web cams, Craig’s List, interactive online sex, online hook-ups and prostitution sites
5. 2004 to the present – Smartphones with GPS locators, Social Networking (facebook, twitter, linkedin), Virtual World Sex, Sexting
6. And coming to your way very soon … Virtual Sex
Note above how the explosion of modern world technology has fueled an equally exponential growth of access to graphic pornography and recreational sex partners. Think about the fact that over the many millennia it has taken for the brains, relationships, morality and ethics of mankind to develop, our sexual behavior was basically limited to art, cheating, imagination and self-stimulation. Yet in a period of little more than 100 years we have arrived at the point of near instant entry to explicit imagery and sexual partnering (for cash or free).
Before posting, please read our blog moderation guidelines. The comments below begin with the oldest comments first. Click on the last comments page to jump to the most recent comments.
Before posting, please read our blog moderation guidelines.Post a Comment: