7 Life Lessons from Dr. Seuss
Many of us grew up reading Dr. Seuss. If you have kids, you’ve likely relived your childhood reading over his books only to find, “Wow, there’s some real wisdom in these books.” One book that has grown on me over time as an adult is Oh, the Places You’ll Go! It brings you through all the experiences in life: the triumphs, the doubts, the confusions, the depressions, the fearful moments and the moments you stare your difficulties in the face and overcome them.
There are also several other notable books: Yertle the Turtle, Horton Hears a Who, The Lorax. The list is endless.
Here are 7 Life Lessons from Dr. Seuss:
- “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
- “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
- “I’m afraid sometimes you’ll play lonely games too, games you can’t win because you’ll play against you.”
- “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
- “And the turtles, of course… All the turtles are free – As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.”
So much to be mindful of in his writings.
Here’s our chance to act like a community. Dig deep and share your favorite quotes below from Dr. Seuss or any children’s book. Either just write the quote or you’re welcome to write what the quote means to you to.
I also welcome you to add your quote and reflection in The Now Effect Community for many more to be inspired. Your contributions not only create a living wisdom for us all to benefit from, but also makes ripple effects far beyond what you might imagine.
*This post was inspired by a picture by “Goodwilllibrarian” that has been making its way around social network communities. Enjoy it below:
Cat in the Hat image by marshillonline, available under a Creative Commons attribution license
Goldstein, E. (2012). 7 Life Lessons from Dr. Seuss. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 5, 2016, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/mindfulness/2012/09/7-lessons-in-life-from-dr-seuss/