7 Questions to Ask Your Mom This Mother’s Day
Communication can be tough, even among family. Some families have individuals walking around with a mental illness, and don’t even know it. Some do know it, but tend not to discuss it. Just like when your doctor asks you about your medical history, cancer, heart disease etc… It is crucial to know your families mental health history. Here are some questions to consider addressing with your mother this Mother’s Day.
7 Questions to ask your mom if she suffers from a mental illness:
- Did your mom or dad have any signs of mental illness?
- When you were pregnant, did you stop taking medication?
- At what age did you get diagnosed with ____?
- How long did it take you to find the right medication for your illness?
- What was your life like before you were diagnosed with your mental illness?
- What have you learned about mental health with your experience of living with a mental disease?
- What would you want to say to future generations about mental illness?
Take some time this Mother’s Day to learn from your mom. There is a reason the saying goes. “Mother knows best.”
Mother and daughter photo available from Shutterstock
Loberg, E. (2013). 7 Questions to Ask Your Mom This Mother’s Day. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 25, 2016, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/manic-depression/2013/05/09/7-questions-to-ask-your-mom-this-mothers-day/