5 Things You Can Do To Feel Better About Your Body
Our cultural obsession with weight has become a form of mental illness. You can’t turn on the TV without coming across a talk show, or commercial stream, discussing the latest trend in diet, weight loss, or exercise.
If you spent one day writing down every time food and weight crossed our mind, you might be surprised by your results. So, if society is going to continue to hammer food and diet into our brains, we have to make a conservative effort to stop it. For example, you go to work and immediately think about what you are going to have for lunch, or what you shouldn’t have for dinner. This is wasted time and unhealthy energy feeding your brain.
Here are some rules to help curb external forces that force you to obsess about your body:
- Rule #1. Be aware of the amount of time in your day your body, your diet and your weight, crosses your mind, catch yourself, and stop.
- Rule #2. Turn the channel when you find a show that discusses the latest diet. You know what works for you, and the latest trend is just that, a trend.
- Rule #3. Don’t spend time contemplating going to the gym, either go or you don’t go, so don’t be wishy-washy on your decision.
- Rule #4. Don’t squeeze yourself into clothes that make you obsess over your weight. When we gain weight, sometimes we refuse to buy a larger size. Do it. Being uncomfortable all day in your clothes only reminds you of your weight, and wastes time you can spend on other thoughts.
- Rule #5. Understand that you are in control of your body, and your mind. Your mind is a powerful source that dictates how we feel about ourselves. IF you find a way to recognize all the mental energy you put toward your body, and redirect your brain, you might find your body at a weight it deserves.
Dieting image available from Shutterstock
Loberg, E. (2013). 5 Things You Can Do To Feel Better About Your Body. Psych Central. Retrieved on October 27, 2016, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/manic-depression/2013/04/10/10-things-you-can-do-to-feel-better-about-your-body/