At some point in a relationship, there comes a time when you discuss moving in together. It can be exciting and/or scary, especially if you’ve never lived with anyone before. Even if you spend all your time at your mates place, sometimes you don’t know what to expect.
Here are some tips to consider when you take the plunge and want to have a smooth transition:
- Be open minded: No matter how well you think you know your mate, you will discover things about him or her that you never knew existed. Try and keep an open mind and allow your mate to be who they are and they just might surprise you.
- Have your own space: It’s important to carve out space for yourself. Have a room in the house that you can escape to if you need some time alone. Allow your mate to have their own space, it’s not personal, it’s only natural.
- Be considerate: You’re not running the show anymore, you are sharing it, so try to keep that in mind and show some consideration for each other.
- Respect each other’s privacy: You might want to know everything about your mate but, some of that is off limits. Set some boundaries for each other.
- Be realistic: You’re gonna have fights, you are going to discover things you might not have known about your mate so, expect to learn new things and be realistic.
- Compromise – It’s not all about you anymore. You’re sharing your life in a whole new way, so allow compromise, and know when to let things go.
- Be patient – Take some time to figure each other out. Even if you’ve been together forever, there are still things you’ll discover about your mate, so be patient while you learn about each other.
As human beings, we can adapt to almost any environment. Allow yourself time to adapt and grow together in your relationship. Although change can be hard, moving in is supposed to be fun, so don’t let your hang-ups get the best of you.
Moving photo available from Shutterstock
No trackbacks yet to this post.
Last reviewed: 11 Mar 2013
Loberg, E. (2013). “We’re moving in together!” – 7 Tips for when you move in with your mate. Psych Central.
Retrieved on December 19, 2014, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/manic-depression/2013/03/11/were-moving-in-together-7-tips-to-consider-when-you-move-in-with-your-mate/