Jump Into A Healthier Lifestyle
I have recently become interested in learning how our hormonal balance can affect our lives. So many clients present with health concerns as well as mental health issues and it is never a bad idea to encourage them to look at their lives in recovery from a holistic perspective. Having said that, it is always a good reminder for us, as persons working in the helping profession to be reminded of the small healthy changes that we can make to improve our lifestyle.
I have been reading Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness Through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science written by Dr. Claudia Welch, MSOM. Dr. Welch outlined 11 things that can help us to jump start into a healthier lifestyle and I decided to share them with you:
1. Wake as early as you can: Dr Welch indicated that pre-dawn is best as it allows you time to meditate, have quiet time or read inspirational material.
2. Apply warm oil to your body: “This has an incredibly calming effect on the nervous system.” Now who wouldn’t want to start their day this way?
3. Bathe, dress, exercise for at least 20 to 30 mins: (That order is suggested in the book, however if you prefer to exercise then take a shower, by all means do that). Starting your day with mild to moderate exercise is a great way to get your energy going. Try yoga, biking or stretching.
4. If you won’t have time to cook later in the day, cook in the morning: This allows you to be better prepared for your day and to reduce the chances of unhealthy snacking.
5. Have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same times every day.
6. Remember to breathe deeply throughout the day.
7. Slow down, in general. Stop multitasking: This might be a hard one for us to accept as we live in a world where busier seems better. According to Dr. Welch, “studies have shown that multitasking has a detrimental effect on mental processes, even when you are not engaged in it. ” We are encouraged to take on tasks, one at a time to enable us to stay focused and do our best.
8. Keep good company.
9. Watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
10. Spend the evening quieting the mind and body in preparation for bed.
11. Retire at the same time each evening.
I encourage you to check out Dr. Welch’s book.
Photo Credit to Dr. Welch’s website
Callender, K. (2013). Jump Into A Healthier Lifestyle. Psych Central. Retrieved on October 9, 2015, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/lessons/2013/07/jump-into-a-healthier-lifestyle/