Archives for Suicide Prevention
Caption: Do You Have A Pair Of Suicidal Genes? Suicide Holiday|Suicide Ideation|Suicidal thoughts |Suicide Genes If you need to talk to someone now, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and you’ll be connected with a trained counselor. They can also connect you to mental health services in your area. The line is available 24/7 and is for people in crisis and those who support people in crisis. Psych Central Blogs On Genes
Chato Stewart: "I MEANT Business Plan!"Mental Health Tech: T-shirt [psych ward] (door Psychiatrist Office)Caption: NOTE to self: Listen to the whole question before I answer (my therapist).When you tell your doctor you have a plan, make sure he knows it not a suicide plan! Suicide Holiday|Suicide Ideation|Suicidal thoughts |Suicide Genes If you need to talk to someone now, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and you’ll be connected with a trained counselor. They can also connect you to mental health services in your area. The line is available 24/7 and is for people in crisis and those who support people in crisis.(Chato Says: One thing I believe most of us peers fear is going back into full-time treatment/hospital/relapse...So I understand when the peer below says "without risking the hospital." He's talking about not saying the wrong thing to this doctor/therapist that would trigger a quick visit to the Psych Ward (as in the above cartoon). By-the-way: BTW: this Mental Health Humor Cartoon was drawn in 2008, not long after I got out of the hospital. It was art imitates life with my then Med Manager (who was always pressing me about my thoughts of suicide/suicidal ideation.)
Psych Central Ask The Therapist
Caption: Suicide: Ideation Happens Suicide Holiday|Suicide Ideation|Suicidal thoughts |Suicide Genes If you need to talk to someone now, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and you’ll be connected with a trained counselor. They can also connect you to mental health services in your area. The line is available 24/7 and is for people in crisis and those who support people in crisis. Suicide Ideation Happens Before I got help in 2003 and even for many years after, I dealt with the overwhelming desire to die - it was not just the lack of self-esteem, self-loathing and shame and total hate I had for myself - because times were good - in fact: when times were great and my life was good...my mind kept telling me to die. I dealt with suicidal ideation for over 30 years off and on. I am HAPPY! I'm a complete failure at suicide.
Medication Bottles: [Paxil: Hugging, partying, having fun] Medication Bottle Latuda: I HATE the Holidays! Caption: Doomsday Preppers Survival kit for the Holidays Suicide Holiday|Suicide Ideation|Suicidal thoughts |Suicide Genes Whether or not suicide is more common during the Christmas holiday is Fact or Myth...one thing WE ALL MUST NOT LOSE FOCUS ON the FACTS - In the U.S, the CDC reports suicide mortality every 12.9 minutes. If you need to talk to someone now, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and you’ll be connected with a trained counselor. They can also connect you to mental health services in your area. The line is available 24/7 and is for people in crisis and those who support people in crisis. What is One Sure Thing Celebrating The Holidays Will Do? The holiday(s) stress(es) can be overwhelming, depressing and out right lonely...Buying gifts, dealing with long lines, and some not-so-joyful souls can really get you down. Having to be with family or not having family to be with, for others, can be a trigger.
Not long ago, war trauma was treated with compassion, understanding and love. But today, the willingness to empathize with the warrior and listen to his experiences has been replaced by a psychiatric pop-a-pill “quick-fix” mentality that employs antidepressants, antipsychotics, stimulants, sedatives or anti-anxiety drugs.~*Drugging The Military Suicide in the Military - What is the Solution?
On the evening of September 10th, I walked for suicide prevention as the sunset at Gilchrist park, Punta Gorda.
I was given the above-piece of paper to pin on my shirt and to write "WHO" I was walking for? "I AM WALKING FOR"...many walked for...
In my last few posts, you got to see My #doubtfireface Suicide Prevention Challenge. Also, my research on American Foundation for Suicide...
September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month ~ it's not the type of awareness that gets full media coverage unless an A type celebrity dies like Robin Williams. Even then, the coverage can be both positive and negative.
Negative: dragging the old "he or she is
Negative: dragging the old "he or she is
African American Teacher: Chato here’s some “history” - while “we” have a high record of homicides committed with a firearm. White Americans hold the record for firearm suicide! That’s ever since they started Stats. I’m terrified of the day you realize the gun turns...
My 9 Favorite Over-Medicated Cartoon | Over-Medicated Cartoon 2| Over-Medicated Cartoon 3| Over-Medicated Cartoon 4| Over-Medicated Cartoon 5| Over-Medicated Cartoon 6| Over-Medicated Cartoon 7| Over-Medicated Cartoon 8| Over-Medicated Cartoon 9
What an honor it is to be considered an: Everyday "mental health" hero by New York Times bestseller Mr. Pete Earley. His career spans over 30-years in journalism, including six years at The Washington Post, and was the 2007 Pulitzer Prize finalist Crazy: A Father’s Search Through America’s Mental Health Madness. I just got his book and I'm having a hard time putting it down... It drew me in on the very first page where he says...where Mr. Earley writes: "I interviewed murderers and spies, judges and prosecutors, always seeking the truth and attempting to convey it so that readers can see the people and the events for themselves – can also understand not only what happened, also why. But I was always on the outside looking in. I had no idea what it was like to be on the inside looking out. Until my son... was declared mentally ill." excerpt from Book: Crazy Fathers, Sons and Suicide - Cry For help Unanswered
Okay, so it's no secret that I've been on a bit of down slope last past 45 days. Today, I came across www.whatsmym3.com. They have a free online psychological disorders test. I thought, "let me just take the test to see if the results match up with what I already know." Will my Depression line up with the "NON diagnostic instrument" online test? A score of 33 or greater means that your life may be impacted by a mood disorder. My results: 72... Here are the results of What Is My M3 test said about my "down slope": "Your responses on the depression scale indicate that there is over a 90% chance that you are suffering from Depression." Conclusion - This test seems to be right on the dot. Yes, dead center, hitting the nail straight on the head and pin pointed what I already knew... FEAR NOT... the good news is: I'm 10% happier than I was two weeks ago. :) Depressed Peer's Smart Phone Alert: BAD MOOD Alert - 90% Depressed...Positive Thought: You're 10% happier!! Caption: New Depression App with a Positive Psychology Twist
Today, November 20, 2010 is Survivors of Suicide Day and I want to take a moment to write something from someone who has in his official mental health records"History of Multiple Suicide Attempts." It was not till I saw that in writing that I really thought and understood what that really meant.... (I'm @#$%ed) This isn't true, but at the time, I believed it to be. Suicide is a reality, in a unreal mind! It is not to escape life! At the time we feel suicidal, it seems like the only way to escape our minds, our deep inner pains that seem at the time to be killing us. There are many reasons for us not to do it! But walk in the shoes of a suicidal mind and you will quickly learn that our reasoning center of our mind is distorted. Trapped, cornered, scared, not from death but from life. It is a scary time and if the signs are not noticed and help received then the end is suicide! There is hope, there is recovery!! No matter how bleak and dark life looks right now, you have to hear and believe ...it will get better with you here not gone!!
Warning: This video contains photos of Suicide victims and could be a trigger. Survivors of Suicide Day is November 20th, a day of healing for those who have lost someone they love to suicide. This video is my way to honor my peers and remembering the Fallen. (YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8_2Zpg_JaQ)
Exercise to feel well! Here's an option: How about bike riding? We all need some motivation to get off the couch, right? Exercising (or bike riding) for a good reason that could "SAVE" yourself or someone else...now that's motivation!! Have you heard of the National Non-Profit Suicide Prevention Agency, Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE)? (And, do you remember that 1979 inspiring movie, "Breaking Away"...the teen cycling team called "the Cutters" win the Indiana University Little 500 bike race?!) Well, Patrick "Cutter"...who is a Suicide PREVENTION Advocate, is trying to cross the U.S., by bicycle, from Alaska to Florida. His goal....Get Money to SAVE!! If cycling from Alaska to Florida is too short of a trip, how about cycling around the world?! (Think it may take longer than "80 days" however!) A British Columbia teacher living with Bipolar Disorder, Michael Schratter, hopes to cycle 25,000 miles across 6 continents and 30 countries.