Would you know where to turn for funds to pay for mental health treatment? Would you know who to ask for referrals or information on federally funded programs? If not, you are not alone because many families and caregivers struggle with this. Sadly, thousands of families become discouraged during the first year of searching for programs to help pay for mental health treatment services or services for those with intellectual disabilities (formerly called MR-Mental Retardation). After a certain period of time searching for funds to pay down costs, families get discouraged by the multiple resources thrown at them and the millions of programs that have either:
- closed by a certain date,
- require loads of paperwork,
- doesn’t provide long-term stability,
- offers minimal financial support, and
- requires a legal guardian or mentally competent individual to apply (making it difficult for foster parents, extended family, or those under age to apply).