“Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with the big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts.” – Albert Einstein
Whether personal growth is an important value to your or not, it isn’t always easy.
In fact, personal growth is pretty damn hard work.
Sometimes we hit a plateau and stay stagnant, and other times life just takes us completely off course and it’s hard to get back on track.
But, when the going gets tough we have a choice to either get bitter or better.
Getting better is all about adapting and using our experience to grow, learn, and spiritually expand as a person.
We have to be willing to learn if we want to get better. Whether it’s learning to ride a bike or learning to walk as a toddler, we will fall and have to get back up again.
Reaching for our potential requires us to push past obstacles in the same way.
Here are five reminders to help you grow through hardships.
1. Mistakes are a form of practice – Every professional was once an amateur. The way we get better and develop any skill or trait is by trying, failing, and learning. Remember that mistakes are a form of practice. Allow yourself to make mistakes and use failure as a teacher. To never struggle is to never grow.
2. There is always a something new to learn – Each day offers opportunities to learn or experience something new. Be a student of life. Take in and absorb all the knowledge you can. What can you learn from the experiences you are going through right now?
3. Change is constant – Getting comfortable with life can get in the way of a pursuit for growth and development. But when it comes down to it, resisting change is futile.
Change is constant and is something we must accept. So, why not embrace and befriend change? Be intentional about change and meet it head on so you can change in positive direction. Be open to the person you can become.
4. You can make a difference – We all have skills, talents, and capabilities that allow us to contribute to the world around us. We can give back in a big way and make it our life mission, or to simply give back through kindness and encouragement when we meet a stranger.
The point is the best version of you is meant to improve the life experience of others; to give back and serve. You can make a difference in someone’s life, and ultimately improve your life in the process.
5. Life is a journey - Life is a journey and you create your path. This journey isn’t over until we are dead and gone. You have a choice in how you respond and the direction you take.
A journey is meant to be filled with adventure and risk. Have fun with your life and be willing to do something new and exciting. Enjoy your journey while you can.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end.” – Ernest Hemingway