Follow Along with My SAT Class for Free
It’s my third time teaching this class, and I’m finally feeling like I’m getting the curriculum shaped into a form I like a lot.
I’m trying to create something more than just an SAT class: I blend in research-based study tips, plus I’m trying to get my students embarked on some good habits that they’ll need to succeed in college and in life:
- Studying with focus (which includes doing without cellphone and music)
- Studying consistently, over time (not cramming the day before the test)
- Keeping a Study Journal so as to plan, track progress, and stay motivated
- Practicing by writing (annotating, working math problems on paper) not by just looking over one’s notes (a very ineffective method)
- Quizzing and testing oneself as a study method, as well as to assess progress (good old-fashioned flash cards are a great learning method, because the brain learns best with quizzing and repetition).
After each class, I’ve been posting on my website my outline, notes and assignments.
I’ve also inserted links to many useful and free online videos, worksheets and interactive practice. My students use these posts for review or to catch up if they miss a class, and…
Anyone who wants to follow along at home each week is welcome to access all of these materials and use them as a FREE do-it-yourself SAT prep class!
We’ve had two classes so far (there will be six in all):
Session One (January 26)
Session Two (February 2)
I will post notes for the remaining classes after I teach them, on the following dates: Feb 9, 16, 23 and March 2. Just go to my website, www.LeighCousins.com, click on the “Tests” page, and visit the purple box.
A student who follows my notes and does the work ought to be well-prepared for the March 9 SAT or any other SAT this year. (Make sure and register soon for the March 9 exam!)
It would thrill me to have any or all of you take advantage of this resource, and by all means spread the word to friends, family, or groups who might benefit, including home schoolers, youth groups, etc.
I welcome your feedback and suggestions!
[photo of sculpture on Yale campus]
Cousins, L. (2013). Follow Along with My SAT Class for Free. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 27, 2016, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/always-learning/2013/02/follow-along-with-my-sat-class-for-free/