Some tricky steps, but when it’s done right, it looks really bad
Do you dance? Do you twirl and spin? Do you love to waltz?
Me? I’m not overly excited about dancing, but I wouldn’t say I dislike it. I appreciate the activity. I bounce with the tempo, absorb the music, and enjoy the social aspect of dancing.
But, as an ADHDer, there is one dance that I abhor, The ADHD Waltz. Yes, the music is good, it’s the music of life. And yes the moves are easy, it’s pretty much a free sort of dance. And okay, yes there is lots of fun to be had. I’m not denying any of these things. But I still hate it.
What’s the ADHD Waltz?
Although the steps vary, a typical early morning ADHD waltz could go like this:
- Get out of bed
- Go to the kitchen
- Empty the coffee filter into the compost bucket
- Take the compost bucket to the back door
- Go back to the bedroom for pants
- Go to the laundry room for pants
- Go to the living room and find pants in the laundry basket of unfolded laundry
- Start folding the laundry, begin with the towels
- Take the towels to the bathroom and place them on the sink
- Open the bathroom closet door
- Get out a new tube of toothpaste
- Fold up the box that the toothpaste came in
- Take it to the kitchen and put it in the recycling
- Catch site of the coffee maker and wonder why there’s no coffee made
- Remember that you were emptying the compost bucket
- Go to the back door
- Wonder why you’re not wearing pants
- Go to the bedroom to get pants
- Remember the laundry and head back towards the livingroom
- Stop at the washroom, put away the towels
- Put out clean towels and gather dirty ones for laundry
- Take dirty laundry to the laundry room
- Go to kitchen for coffee, discover, again, that none has been made
- Remember pants and laundry and compost
- Return finally to the living room
- Put on pants with determination
- Pat yourself on back for accomplishing the donning of pants
- Celebrate by going to kitchen for coffee
- Shake head and go empty compost
- Remember laundry
- Fold laundry and carry it to bedroom
- Find compost bucket on dresser
- Shake head
- Return laundry basket to bathroom closet
- Find coffee pot in bathroom
- Shake head
- Return compost bucket and coffee pot to kitchen
- Give up and go to coffee shop on corner, checking first to be sure you’re wearing pants
There are of course, many variations, too many to be able to learn all of them, or any of them really. The dance that includes making breakfast is one with so many variations it could be considered an entire genre on its own.
So there’s your introduction to the ball, I sincerely hope your dance card doesn’t fill up too quickly. One two three, one two three, one two three, one.
No trackbacks yet to this post.
Last reviewed: 31 Jul 2013
Babcock, K. (2013). Dancing The ADHD Waltz. Psych Central.
Retrieved on July 23, 2014, from http://blogs.psychcentral.com/adhd-man/2013/07/dancing-the-adhd-waltz/